Saturday 11 June 2011

Asian green omelette & seaweed rice

I fancied something a little different to your usual brunch this morning. I didn't fancy bacon or sausages, which I have other plans for anyway, but I did want something salty and sweet and altogether more vitimin laden than meat.

I made this up but the inspiration for it came from a recipe in Harumi Kurihara's book, Japanese Home Cooking. Mine is virtually unrecognisable from the original, but still very tasty.

I pulled out a load of green and white vegetables from the fridge: broccoli, a pepper, celery, broad beans, onion and mushrooms. I stir fried these in a hot pan, adding a small amount of chicken stock (if vegetarian, use vegetable stock) and a tiny drizzle of light soy sauce. When cooked I put the omelette filling into a baking tray and popped it into the oven on its lowest setting to stay warm.


I washed a cup of short grain rice and popped it into a small saucepan with cold water up to about an inch over the rice and a few drops of toasted sesame oil. Put on a fairly high heat with a lid on until it came to the boil, then turned down and simmered for 14 minutes. It needs to rest for five minutes off the heat after that or the texture will be squishy.


Seaweed is fabulous stuff and only takes 10 minutes to prepare. Just pop it in a bowl with cold water and it plumps out as though it never left the ocean. Sqeeze it as dry as you can and then season with a little light soy sauce.


While the rice was cooking, I beat two eggs with a little chicken stock (or use veg stock), salt and pepper and heated up a frying pan until extremely hot. 2 eggs made three very thin little pancake omelettes, cooked quickly and browned on both sides. I put those in the low oven as well, to keep warm.


I turned out the rice with a fork and seasoned it with some mirin and rice wine vinegar, then mixed the seaweed into it. Piled it into little bowls and sprinkled some vegetable furikake over the top.

To assemble the omelettes I just piled the filling in the middle, rolled them up and cut them in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment