Friday 10 June 2011

Turnips with peas, wet garlic & roast lamb

Sometimes there is a nice little surprise in my veg box, a recipe that someone has thoughtfully put in, to inspire people when cooking some of the ingredients that week.

This time it was fresh turnips, which they suggested you braise and then serve with the wet garlic and fresh peas that were also in the box. Luckily enough I had ordered racks of lamb too, which the recipe mentioned as great with this side dish.

Cooking little racks of lamb to go with the veggies is pretty easy. It's even easier if the only breadcrumbs you have in the house have gone mouldy, so there's nothing to make a herby crust from. Whoops!

Just brown them for a few minutes either side, preferably using the baking tray that you're going to roast them in. Then cover with foil and pop in the oven at 180 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of them. At this point you'd usually remove the foil and add the crust, before cooking for another 8 minutes or so, in this case I had to omit the crust and just removed the foil.


The turnip recipe was very easy too, and rather than typing the whole thing out here is a picture of the recipe from my Abel and Cole box.

I think the only note I'd make to add to this recipe is that the turnips probably needed to be cooked for a little longer than I did them (we were hungry!), so make sure they are nicely cooked before serving up.


Btw, I did like adding a splash of white wine!

Once the lamb was done, I left it to rest for five minutes before serving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment